I had a long conversation today with a close friend and colleague about perfection, happiness and success. She wanted to know how I "do it" and "make it look so easy." While I appreciate that, I thought this post could shed some light on what I do that works for me, and help you discover what might work for you. My readers, clients and followers tend to be type-A, MACH-1 with their hair on fire types who are uber-successful and not always happy with the process.
We've learned that we’re supposed to be busy. We’re supposed to say yes to everyone, be completely frenetic and crazy. No-one wants to see someone who is calm, collected and organized because they think they’re a freak of nature. But that actually is our natural state. It is YOUR natural state. Let me help you get there, starting now.
- Take a few steps back to make a giant leap forward. You'll do this by getting organized. Whether you're almost there and it just takes a few hours this afternoon to clean out "that last drawer" or several blocked off days to get it done, get yourself organized. There are amazing professional organizers who can help you find a place for everything and get everything in it's place.
- Take control of your mind and body. You'll do this by moving, breathing, listening, learning and being grateful. If you think you don't have time, you don't not have the time to take care of yourself, learn something new, stop and smell the roses. Do you see the guy down the hall who's got 10 or 20 years on you, he's overweight, divorced and miserable? He might be a little more financially wealthy, but emotionally, physically, spiritually and in his relationships he's bankrupt. I don't want that to be you.
- Take stock. You'll do this by deciding what you truly want and moving in that direction. Change disciplines or careers entirely, or just finally learn French, or to paint, go to Europe, or put some art on your walls. It doesn't matter: get excited about something you have been wanting to get excited about, and do something about it. Today.
- Get focused. You'll do this by stopping all of the minutiae nonsense, time-wasting activities and "stuff" you don't love (or like). If you're a professional, spend your time doing two things: (1) making money* and (2) enjoying the money you make.
*Let your assistant do all of the things you're doing that are she/he could be doing. You should be billing many more of the hours you're working.
- Enjoy today. You never know, it could just be your last day.
It's your life and you get to decide. Truly.
~To your success! Honorée