- in gratitude for things other do for you (such as buy lunch, refer new business, hire you or send a gift)
- after meeting someone for the first time (leaves a powerful, positive impression and opens perhaps otherwise closed doors)
- to start to bridge the gap with acquaintances from "friendly" to "friend," thus increasing the likelihood of future business*
- to recognize someone for a personal or professional achievement
- to offer condolences on someone's loss
- or just to say hello and enclose an article or other piece of important information
Here is a great stationery resource. My recommendation is to have notes with your name and business address (without your business name). This elevates the relationship to personal - which is crucial for business success. In perfect or imperfect worlds, we do business with our friends - people we know, like and trust. Sending notes is one of the best ways to begin and continue that process.