"Never give up!" and other lessons I learned from Diana Nyad

Diana Nyad

***After you read this post, be sure to visit me at my new home here.***


I will admit I hadn't closely followed Diana Nyad's four previous attempts to swim from Cuba to Florida, but when I saw this news alert on my phone, 


CNN: Diana Nyad, 64, is about 2 miles shy of finishing her swim from Cuba to Florida, a goal she's persued for 35 years.

and I saw messages of encouragement on my Facebook timeline, I knew I needed to tune in.

I tend to stay away from the news, because rarely does it inspire me to be a better person, go for my dreams, or think bigger. This is one news story I can't get enough of, and lessons abound from watching Diana's interviews this morning on The Today Show and CBS.

Here's what I've learned from Diana:

  • Age doesn't matter. As I'm enjoying my 40s, I have had some thoughts in the back of my mind that I need to get stuff done now while I'm still able. No more! I jokingly said last summer that I want to do the Ironman in Kona when I turn 70, and my training officially starts tomorrow. Tune in in 2040 or better yet, be waiting at the finish line with some chocolate covered macadamia nuts for me.
  • It's always about the team. Diana talked about how her team helped her to avoid dangerous currents, animals and deal with hunger, thirst, and swallowing too much salt water. Without her team, her success wouldn't be possible. It's true, there's no such thing as a self-made person. We all go farther and faster {and have more fun} surrounded by people who help us and cheer us on.
  • It's better with music. Diana has a playlist with 85 songs. She sang Neil Young's The Damage Done to herself at 2 a.m. to keep going. Find some tunes that literally rock your world and keep you going when the going gets tough.
  • There will be obstacles. Find a way through them. When Willie Geist asked Diana what made the fifth attempt successful, she said, "I resolved to get through the jellyfish. It's their world, but this time I had to get through them." She also had to deal with swallowing lots of salty sea water and sea creatures wondering what the heck was happening in their world. She had to just keep going. It doesn't matter what tries to stop or delay you, you can persevere and succeed.
  • You must set your intention and be committed to it, no matter what. Diana had been dreaming of completing this swim for 36 years, and had made four previous attempts. Don't quit until you've reached your objective, completed your dream, and hit the goal.
  • Stay focused. Willie noted there were other swimmers with her toward the end, but she didn't notice them ... she was too focused. When you're attempting to achieve a new level of success, or catch the brass ring, you must have blinders on and become oblivious to anything and anyone who can cause you to lose focus.
  • There's the yin and the yang. For every thing that didn't go perfectly, there were several things that went great. This time, the current and tide were in Diana's favor and she was so grateful. There will always be some bonus miracles that will happen to let you know you're on the right path.
  • Never give up. No matter what. Diana means it. I mean it.
 What did you learn? What would you attempt if you knew for sure you would succeed? Start today.



YOU MAY ALSO WANT TO READ:
Make a Bold Move and Set Yourself Free {Honorée}
Control Your Mental Real Estate {Honorée}
Challenges, Schmallenges {Honorée}

No comments: