From Handshake to Deal

The quickest route from handshake to a closed deal is to create a friend. Isn't it true that you would prefer to do business with a friend? I would! This process is relatively simple, but it certainly isn't easy. When someone first meets you, you are here: "I don't know you, like you or trust you." Also known as "You aren't getting my money." Yet.

The simple steps:

1. Rapport is the building block for solid, successful and high-touch relationships. Get them talking by asking questions. Find out who they are, where they're from, what they do, and why they do it. If you can, make them laugh. Laughter is not only the best medicine, it's the best ice-breaker.

2. As you're gathering information, determine whether each of the following is true: (a) do I like them? (b) can I (or someone I know) help them? (c) do they believe I can help them?

3. If the answer is yes to all three questions, put them into your follow-up system. Follow up with them systematically ~ it is regular touches that create familiarity and when someone is familiar with you, they feel as though you are either a friend, or becoming one.

This process could take minutes or it can take years, yet having solid relationships means you'll thrive instead of just survive.

No comments: